Monday, December 17, 2007

Sailing...

I am a water person, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. At first my adventures were mostly hikes up and down creeks. Then, I was turned onto rives, and now, my most recent adventure has been exploring my own backyard....the San Francisco Bay. My vessel; Sea Angel. A Hinckley 35' Sloop. I have been out about four or five times, and each time gets better and better.

So far I have learned:
-Preparing the boat, roaps, sails, and general rigging.
-Man overboard techniques.
-How to reef.
-How to Tack and Jib (both with a crew and by myself).
-Some map reading/navigation.
-Rope handling.
-Some SailBoat laws, and some MotorBoat laws. I am still trying to get a hold on them.

Well, thats all I can think of right now.

Other things Sail....
Right now I am reading an amazing book, A World of My Own (The first ever non-stop solo round the world voyage), by Robin Knox-Johnston. A. Mazing. Dood was alone, out at sea for ten and a half months. I can't wait until I am ready to charter a boat by myself. I don't think it will be too long.

No comments: